How much are you spending on your dog?
You have a four-legged companion and you want to protect him as well as possible, in this case, a mutual health insurance for dogs is an excellent solution!
Caring for a canine is a financial responsibility that must be taken into account. But how much does maintaining a dog cost?
Things to consider for your dog’s health
- Reception equipment (basket, toys, transport bag, muzzle, shampoo, etc.)
- Food (which can change depending on the age of the animal)
- Compulsory care
- Preventive care
- Curative care
- End of life treatments
- Reimbursement of your veterinary expenses
Equipment for welcoming a dog
To welcome your pet as it should, remember to gather all the necessary equipment so that it finds its place in your home.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of the equipment to be provided as well as an indicative price which may vary slightly depending on the place of purchase:
- a basket or a basket (from 30 to 150 euros depending on the size of the dog)
- a single or double bowl (from 15 to 25 euros)
- toys and chews (from 3 to 15 euros)
- a dog brush (10 to 25 euros)
- a shampoo (from 11 to 35 euros)
- a glue and a leash and / or a muzzle (from 5 to 50 euros)
The food budget for a dog
When we talk about a dog’s food budget, we are talking about running expenses. This is because, like humans, a dog needs to eat regularly (every day or every other day, depending on your pooch’s diet).
Depending on the breed and size of your dog, feed costs can vary significantly. So you have two solutions: either you cook healthy food for your animal, or you opt for kibbles or boxes sold in the trade or directly from your veterinarian.
In general, it takes between 15 and 50 euros per month to feed your companion.
Veterinary expenses are inevitable, just as a visit to the doctor is sometimes necessary for you.
Your animal must respect certain legal or desirable constraints. This mandatory care is often to be carried out during the adoption of the dog such as:
- the electronic chip (70 euros) or the tattoo (60 euros)
- the vaccination of the first year (2 injections to plan for 140 euros)
- castration for males (200 euros) – not compulsory
- sterilization for females (300 euros) – not compulsory